Thank you for your interest in being an exchange scholar at Missouri S&T!
Exchange scholars must demonstrate that they can effectively communicate in English and function in day-to-day activities. Necessary information for the evaluation process is presented below.
Step 1: Contact Missouri S&T’s Intensive English Program (IEP) regarding an interview.
To schedule an interview, please send an email request to Mr. Evan Bell (email@example.com) or Dr. Thu Tran (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Step 2: Pay for the cost of the interview ($195).
Step 3: Complete the interview.
- Present your passport at the beginning of the interview to confirm your identity.
- The interview is conducted via Zoom or Skype and takes approximately 30 minutes to complete. Candidates are asked to read and listen to passages in English and verify that they have sufficient comprehension of the materials.
Step 4: Receive the results.
Prospective visiting scholars will receive their test results within 24 hours.
Based on prospective visiting scholars’ English language proficiency testing results, one of the following recommendations will be made:
- For prospective visiting exchange scholars who demonstrate sufficient English language proficiency to participate in an exchange program at Missouri S&T and to function on a daily basis, no Intensive English language courses are required.
- For prospective visiting exchange scholars who show minimal proficiency levels to participate in an exchange program at Missouri S&T and to function on a daily basis, one IEP course is required. The prospective exchange visitor is required to take an oral communication course upon arrival at Missouri S&T. The course is 16 weeks long, 4 hours per week.
- For prospective exchange visitors who did not demonstrate English language proficiency sufficient to participate in an exchange program at Missouri S&T and to function on a daily basis, no I-20/DS2019 is issued due to lack of English language proficiency.
Step 5: All prospective exchange scholars are required to check in upon arrival at Missouri S&T.
Visiting scholars should meet with their international student advisor.
Exchange visitors who are required to take an oral communication course (those who received recommendation 2 in step 4 above) report to the Intensive English Program (1207 N Elm Street, Rolla, MO 65409) to enroll in the required class.
- The fee for English language proficiency test is $195.
- Communication course tuition and fees are $1,090.
English Language Proficiency Exemption for Visiting Scholars
Prospective visiting scholars are exempt from the English language proficiency requirement if they completed a minimum of three years of college studies in the United States, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, or the English-speaking parts of Canada. English language proficiency exemption expires after five years of graduation.